Friday, August 24, 2007

Mystery Classmate 114

Congratulations to Ann Broadberry Johnson, Maribeth Mahoney Misitis, Ted Showers, Steve Landay, Ken Van Cara, Paul Rodgers, Rebecca Canobbio Abel, and Dave Weidenhamer, all of whom correctly identified Steve Falvo and Mike Snyder (’88) as Mystery Classmates #114 and are listed in the order that their responses were received.

Half credit to Joe Caprara and Brian “S.D.” Stevenson, each of whom identified Mike Snyder.

In case you were wondering, Donna Andreas Copley provided the following rundown:

“Hey, I know those guys (maybe because I sent in the photo from my sister)! That's my nephew Sleeven Falvo and Mike Snyder - 1988! I have no clue what Mike Snyder is up to - ask Sleeve! Sleeve is doing well these days, but don't ask me what he does... I think he's going back in the military again soon. He served in the 1st Gulf War in the army. I met his girl friend Mary when I was home over reunion weekend (I did "family reunion" instead of the Saturday '84 reunion dinner). She was very nice and so was her daughter - she has to be super nice to put up with Steve! I know Steve likes to sky dive - he sent me some videos of him in the sky. Steve has not procreated yet - maybe that's a good thing??!! At least my sister Stef ('67) has two other grandkids from Vikki ('86).”

Steve Falvo later checked in with the following:

“Mike is married to Laura and living in NJ and working as a computer guru with Dow Jones. They have a dog named Murph that likes to attack Steve.

”Steve is living in a cardboard box under an undisclosed bridge in Pittsburgh and is currently waiting on military orders. I'll be leaving for training in the fall or at the beginning of 2006.

”I'm not sure where the photo was taken. I usually don't remember too much when I'm with Mike. It was probably at the ‘Spring Fling’ in 2004.”

Several classmates shared fond memories of Mike and Steve.

Ann Broadberry Johnson remembered that they were both “such nice, great guys.” Maribeth Mahoney Misitis recalled that they were “two really, really nice guys. They made a cappella choir fun! Glad to see they are still great friends.”

Steve Landay wrote, “I'm glad to see that Falvo is no longer wearing camouflage pants!” Brian “S.D.” Stevenson noted that Snyder is still drinking "fruity beer." Dave Weidenhamer found it odd that there's only one beer in the picture.

Ken Van Cara expounded at length. “Oh, the stories I could tell about Mr. Falvo --some of which involve band, choir, and those sorts of wholesome activities, but many more of which involve drinking beer, and running from the police. In particular, there was an incident at Lions Park in which poor Mr. (Dave) Grejda was captured by Johnny Law. I also remember the day that Steve, Mike and I formed a short lived garage band in Mike Snyder's garage, called "The Jimmy Kwiecinski Has No Friends Band." Sorry, Jim, not sure who came up with it, but it seemed hysterical at the time. Falvo on drums, Snyder and Van Cara on guitar, and, I think, Joe Dallas on bass. Also remember many years of Turkey Bowl football games at Koch Park. In particular I remember Steve coming back after his first stint in the Army--he was approximately a foot and a half taller than when he left and he was hell bent on 'kicking some commie butt.' All in all, Steve was an awfully nice guy and a good friend and he's probably softened his stance on "commies" a good bit. Although, who knows? 1988 was a long time ago...”

Linda Wolff didn’t guess, but noted correctly that the fellows are younger than us. Jerry Koutavas guessed Brian Behler and Kevin Kurpecky.

No comments: