Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mystery Classmate #132

Congratulations to Kelly Sauer Mazon, Donna Andreas Copley, and Nancy Ondick Hahn, who correctly identified Mystery Classmate #132, Marc Schanfarber, and are listed in the order that their responses were received.


In case you were wondering, Marc writes, “This was shot at Baldface, a cat skiing operation in British Columbia, in March 2005 after a big dump of about 16" of snow. I've been a skiing addict since high school, an instructor since the 1992-93 season, and a faithful devotee of freshly fallen powder wherever it may be. Thoughts of high school skiing go out to Kelly Sauer Mazon, Phil Pretter, Sue Coyne Glover, Eric Caplan, Erin Keeley Shorthouse, Doug Mackay, Angela Painter Radigan, and many others that were part of the ski club that went to Seven Springs week after week for a few months each year. I know there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment. It's 28 degrees here in Germantown, Maryland tonight, and I'm certainly thinking of snow that is on the way.”


Several classmates had fond memories of Marc. Kelly Sauer Mazon wrote, “He tried to teach me to ski! One time and that was it. I guess I was a lost cause. Marc is a great guy! We missed him at the reunion!”


Nancy Ondick Hahn added, “Marc was one of the many 1984 graduates that went to Penn State University. I wonder if he remembers drinking the whiskey and Cokes in his dorm during many of our underage drinking happy hours??? I also recall one of his best Halloween costumes. Marc always reminded me of Dustin Hoffman and boy did he pull off an amazing Tootsie look-alike for one of the Halloween parties. I really should try to find that picture… it's truly a classic! He soon joined a fraternity and I would only get to see him here or there around the campus. He looks great in the photo and I bet that's not a shot from the slopes of PSU! Oh, and of course, go LIONS!!!”


Maria Wojtaszek Romanelli guessed Matt McKeever. Joe Caprara guessed Mike Cenna. Karen Campbell Ricci guessed Todd Hochlinski.


Coleman Brennan guessed Jack Horner. Milton Koutavas guessed Franz Klamer. Paul Rodgers guessed Alberto Tomba.


Dan Talbert guessed Simon Schiffman, and added, “I know he went to Colorado to become a ski bum in the early 90's and this picture is exactly how I picture him spending his days. Bastard. Somewhere though, I've got a good one of him wiping out during a St. John Fisher ski retreat to Blue Knob. Looks like he's improved a bit.”


Pam Pristas Dwyer, Damon Johncour, and John Plack guessed Kirk Rapport. Damon wrote, “I remember the brown tricked out pick-up and the hill climbs up the hill in front of CHS.” John added that Kirk was “a skiing MADMAN.”


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by this idea of a mystery classmate. Something like a Erkin Bekbolotov name